I studied Social Psychology, Sociology, Population and Development, Social Anthropology and Environmental and Forest Studies at: the National University of Mexico; FLACSO-Mexico; Colegio de México; the Center for Development Studies, Kerala India and the Workshop for Political Theory and Policy Analysis at Indiana University. For 30 years I have worked in the field of rural studies, with forest communities and communities´ federations. My research has focused on: communities´ governance of forests, forest sustainability, tenure and property rights, forest and conservation policies. An important academic effort of the last decade is the diffusion of the Commons Theory and policy approach in Mexico and Latin America: I translated into Spanish Elinor Ostrom´ s seminal book “Governing the Commons” and coordinated the translation and technical review of Ostrom´s last book – co-authored with Amy Poteete and Marco Janssen- “Working Together. Collective Action, the Commons, Multiple Methods in Practice. In 2004 I organized the X Biennial Global Conference of the IASC, held in Oaxaca, México, the first –and until now only- bilingual IASC Conference. I am full time professor at National University of Mexico (UNAM) teaching at the Postgraduate Programs of Social Sciences and Policy and Ecology. I have been invited professor at FLACSO- Guatemala, Universidad del Valle de Guatemala, el Colegio de México, the University of McGuill, the University of Manitoba and Colegio de San Luis, Mexico. From 1994 to 1997 I represented Mexico at the Program for Communities and Environment of the North American Commission for Environmental Cooperation. I have been consultant for the Ford Foundation, CONABIO, the Congress of the Union of Mexico, FAO and the World Bank. In 2003 I received the Award of Agrarian Studies from the Ministry of Agrarian Reform of Mexico, in 2006 the Highest Level of the National Research System (SNI III), in 2008 the Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Knowledge and Use of Biodiversity of Mexico from the National Commission for Biodiversity and the University of Jalisco. I am a member of the IASC since 2000. Since 2004 I have been member of the IASC Executive Council.
Selected publications and references
- The Community Forests of Mexico, Managing for Sustainable Landscapes, (co-authored with David Bray and Deborah Barry) published by Texas University Press, Austin, 2005.
- Conservation and forest communities in Mexico. An ongoing struggle over forest property rights? In Community Action for Conservation: Mexican Experience, edited by Luciana Porter-Bolland, Isabel Ruiz-Mallen, Claudia Camacho-Benavides, Sussanah McCandless; published by Springer, New York 2013.
- A Vuelo de Pájaro. Encuesta sobre las condiciones de las comunidades forestales en México (co- authored with Ana Eugenia Martínez) . Published by the Comisión Nacional para el Estudio y Uso de la Biodiversidad y Miguel Ángel Porrúa Editorial, México 2013.
- Encuentros y Desencuentros. La Política Forestal en Tiempos de Transición Política en México. (co- authored with Gabriela Ortiz), Published by the Instituto de Investigaciones Sociales, UNAM and Miguel Ángel Porrúa Editorial, México 2013
- Conservación o Deterioro. El Impacto de las Políticas Públicas en las Comunidades y en los Bosques de México. Ed. Instituto Nacional de Ecología, 2004.
- La Experiencia de las Comunidades Forestales de México (co-authored with David Bray), published by the Instituto Nacional de Ecología, 2004.
Instituto de Investigaciones Sociales
Circuito Mario de la Cueva
Mexico City, DF
C.P. 04510, MEXICO
Phone: 52 55 5622 7400 ext. 284